Asian Braised Short Ribs
3 hrs 20 mins
2.5 - 3 lbs of short ribs ⠀
2 cups of all-purpose flour ⠀
For the Braising Liquid:
1/2 cup of soy sauce ⠀
1/2 cup beef or chicken stock ⠀
1/4 cup of orange juice ⠀
orange zest ⠀
2 tbsp mirin ⠀
1 tbsp honey or agave ⠀
white onions ⠀
Serve with: ⠀
lime wedges + green onions/scallions + thai chili ⠀
steamed white rice ⠀
Note: If you plan to oven braise, pre-heat oven to 350⠀
1. In a medium-size bowl, add all the ingredients for the braising liquid. Set aside. ⠀
2. Pat dry the ribs before generously seasoning with salt and pepper.⠀
3. Once seasoned, dredge the short ribs to coat all sides with AP flour.
4. After flouring all the ribs, heat a large skillet on high heat, add neutral oil, and sear to brown the ribs until caramelized. (Do not skip this step, please and thanks!) After browning, set aside. ⠀
5. In the same skille, add oil to heat up in medium-high heat, then add the garlic, onions, and thyme. Cook until aromatic about 2-3 mins or until onions are translucent. Be careful not to burn your garlic. ⠀
6. Add back in the ribs to mix in with onions, garlic, and thyme. ⠀
7. Mix in your braising liquid to coat (but not cover or submerge) ribs. Note: completely submerged ribs will boil not braise. ⠀
8. Bring to a simmer then place in the oven to cook for 350 over 2.5 - 3 hours or on stove top on low-medium heat for 2.5 hours. Making sure to check liquid throughout. ⠀
9. Enjoy w/ loved ones ❤️
Thanks for rating us!
Hi, I'm glad you're here!
cook this blog. is my love affair with food and a test kitchen dedicated to helping you find ways to cook delicious crave-worthy recipes designed to maximize flavors. So what are we waiting for, let's get cooking, shall we?
From my kitchen to yours,
- Bon Appétit!